Skip to main content

Week 4: The Starting Line

Hello everyone!

This is Elizabeth here to talk about the first 4 weeks of my internship.

Despite having minimal knowledge on the research process or what this course would encompass, I was still super excited going into this course. 
I’m working with the wonderful Lenny and Lydia and we’re focusing on the effects of imagined intergroup contact on prejudice towards overweight and obese individuals.

I’m in the process of piecing together the method and choosing scales and measurements. It's taking a lot longer than I expected. I’ve spent hours and hours on readings and researching related studies but this week, Kate warned us about “The Reading Trap” which completely opened my eyes.

I Googled my symptoms

I’ve spent an enormous chunk of my time reading article upon article because I’m that type of person that wants to know everything before I have put it down in ink. It also doesn’t help that I enjoy reading the literature too. Leading up to the research proposal, I have to make sure I'm not blindly reading things without absorbing anything. I’m going to keep Kate’s advice to “read with a direction/ goal” embedded in mind and try out the techniques she told us about in class. Keen beans to start progressing somewhere with my readings.

Going back to the reading basics 


My goals for this internship:

1. BALANCE

I find that some days, I’m super motivated to work on my project but other days it would be sitting on the corner of my table collecting dust. I’m going to try to work on it regularly but also balance it with my other 3 subjects.


2. Learn more about the research process

As I said before, I truly enjoy reading research but I can’t picture myself doing the research. I feel like researchers are so knowledgeable and must never make mistakes and I get intimidated because I’m still a student that makes silly mistakes with referencing. I’m hoping by the end of this course, I’ll have a greater insight into the research process.


3. Seize the opportunity and have fun

This is a uni course and naturally I want to get the best marks possible. But I have to remind myself that it’s also an amazing opportunity to learn and explore. I don’t want to be pulling my hair every time I get stumped on a task. So, I’ll be telling myself to calm down and relax. If I have any issues, all I need to do is ask my supervisors. No need to stress.

That’s all from me! I hope everyone has a fantastic week and best of luck with proposal writing 😎


Comments

  1. Hi Elizabeth, Luana here!
    I agree with you about the writing trap. I always feel as though I need to know everything to be able to start writing, but I have come to realise that actually trying to write is a really great way to found out what knowledge you have and where the gaps are. I also have the goal of letting people critique my work before I think it's 'ready'. As a perfectionist I often don't want to show others my writing until I am really happy with it, but I can see the value of getting feedback during the development process, as everything is still so malleable. Especially in this class as there are some great opportunities for support!!

    Good luck with achieving your goals over the next couple of weeks. I know that choosing an analysis method can be very difficult but is so important as it can often change the whole design!

    Goodluck proposal writing! (I know I'll need it ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Elizabeth!
    How good was Kate's lesson on writing tips! I think they will definitely come in handy with the proposal writing and even in some of our other subjects.
    I really love your third point about seizing the opportunity. This really resonates with me and I'm sure a lot of other people because it is so easy to get caught up in the grades side of it all but this course is so unique that I definitely have the same goal in mind and have been telling myself to do the exact same thing!
    I'm really excited to hear all about your experiment and the analysis method you end up deciding to go with.

    Goodluck!
    Mikayla :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 12: At the Finish Line

Hi All, Luana here again. As we are coming towards the end of this internship, I thought I would reflect on the experience as a whole. I can definitely say that this internship has been completely unique to any other learning experience I have had at university so far. It was great to be really hands on and self- directed with my own learning. Even the more formal-learning aspects during the workshops and coding classes were skills that we could apply immediately in our projects. Sometimes at Uni we get a lot of theory thrown at us without being given an opportunity to apply it ourselves, so I can say I really enjoyed the ‘learn by doing’ approach to this internship. I gained so many new skills in these past four months, just by being able to try things myself. It is also amazing how different everyone who does the internship’s experience is. As we have all worked in different areas, with different supervisors and on entirely different projects, everyone’s experien

Week 8: The Multiple Rounds of Editing

Hello everyone, It's Elizabeth again, this time to give an update at 8 week mark. I think we all deserve a pat on the back for marking it to the 2 month mark of this internship (and uni in general). Draft proposals were submitted a few weeks ago and peer review was released last night. That means it's time to begin the process of editing. Going back a couple of weeks ago when we submitted our draft, I felt a huge relief. I knew it was far from perfect and I was definitely missing bits and pieces since I was still unsure of my experiment. But I thought hey at least the most stressful part of writing is over and now all that needs to be done is editing which can't be too bad ..... can it? There's always a spelling or grammar mistake hiding somewhere. A couple of days after submitting my proposal, we made a couple of changes to my experiment so I had to rewrite a few things in my rationale and method. So after three days of not touching or even thinking of my pr