Skip to main content

Week 5: A Good Fit


Hey all,

This is Justin here and I will be reflecting on my internship so far. Compared to my peers, my experience thus far has been quite the atypical one, filled with much uncertainty and stress. So please keep your hands, arms and legs inside the carriage at all times and enjoy the ride.

I discovered the hard way (over the past 4 weeks) that supervisors are not always stellar at handling their email inboxes. Week 1 swings by and everyone seems to have sorted out their projects with their supervisors. Meanwhile I have yet to have received a response from my supervisors about lab meeting times, details of my project, relevant readings and what I can do in the lab. At that time I figured that maybe this is normal, since it is still the start of the semester.

Week 2, 3 then 4 swings by. Everyone else it seems, are already well established in their projects, somewhere through data collection and already analysing results. Meanwhile, I was as clueless about my project in week 4 as I was in week 1. After several persistent follow up emails about lab meeting times, details of my project, relevant readings and what I can do in the lab, I have yet to receive any email from my supervisor. At this point I am feeling the pressure and stress from being behind my peers by 4 weeks of work despite trying my best efforts, and especially with work from other courses piling up.  It was then I decided to speak to the coordinator of the internship course - she was incredibly supportive and understanding of my circumstance and with her help, I at long last received the awaited email from my supervisor. Eventually, I was set up with one of my supervisor's post-docs who was very helpful in setting me up in the lab.

A visual representation of my internship so far

Supervisors are human too - they have research grants to write, research to carry out, lectures to prepare and deliver, meetings to schedule, other commitments to fulfill, and importantly, they have their own personal lives. The reality is that even when trying your best in coming prepared (not saying that I was 100% perfect god-tier student on my end), research is a collaborative process and how you navigate your relationship with your supervisor and the research team will shape your experience. Research is often not a straightforward process, and the same can be said in reconciling interpersonal dynamics in and outside the academic area.

What started with anticipation of quality sessions with rats, turned into a rollercoaster of navigating student-professor dynamics. There are several things I would note to myself and to my loyal readers that have read this far on how to points to consider when undertaking an research internship or deciding post graduate research (for prospective interns and honours student):
  1. Consider supervision style: hopefully being the keen psychology/science student that you are, you were drawn to your supervisor of choice out of interest in their field of research. One important factor that can be overlooked is the supervision style of the professor. Commit to having at least some face to face interaction with your prospective supervisors  as that is the best way to find out what kind of person they are and how easy it is to build rapport. It may be worth when talking to prospective supervisors to address that point directly and ask them what their supervision style is, or how they have managed students in the past. Also, having some sort of face to face interaction with prospective supervisors can indicate a lot about
  2. Set/Identify expectations early: all supervisors have their criteria for what makes a great student researcher. Identify what they are early and it will give you more certain and ground as you undertake research under the supervisor.
  3. Touch base with your peers: undertaking research can be an uncertain process. Getting to know your peers and talking about your experiences can help you orientate yourself and support each other. More than likely, you are not the only one experiencing what you are experiencing - and if you are, its a good sign something might be wrong and to go seek some help.
  4. Embrace the learning experiences: as chaotic, uncertain and stressful as my situation was, I learnt a lot about navigating myself around the research environment. No matter what your experience may be, you are bound to learn something that should inform you better about what research is like.

Despite the significant stress and uncertainty I have felt for some period, one perspective is that all of it was for the better. The point of the internship after all, is to get insight and experience doing research in a non-consequential environment. A good fit internship would have been the most comfortable and stress-free. But it is the badly fitted ones that feel uncomfortable that forces you to do something about your situation, and in the process learning how to deal with it better when the consequences really do count. 


That's it from me, thanks for reading
Justin

Comments

  1. Wow Justin, you certainly have had a crazy ride so far! What I find really interesting in this internship is just how different each and everyone's experiences are. It can definitely be challenging at times but it feels like I've taken away more from the first 5 weeks of this course then I have in most of my degree! Like you said, these are things that will inevitably arise and I also do think it's an awesome experience to be able to do it such an non-consequential environment.

    I think you have handled your situation really well and we are all lucky to have such supportive peers and course coordinator! Good luck with your proposal writing, looking forward to hearing more about your project!

    Mikayla :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Justin,

    Sure sounds like you've had quite the experience so far! I think one of the key points you made is to commit to meeting prospective supervisors face to face. This makes a lot of sense, as you want to make sure that you'll be able to work well with your supervisor. It's highly unlikely that you'd accept a job offer in the real world without first meeting the people you'd be working for. Meeting this way before hand would also allow you to establish with them what you can expect from them, and what they expect from you, which is really useful information to consider when choosing a supervisor.

    I would also say that it's a good idea to try and get in touch with other students who currently have, or have previously worked with, any prospective supervisors, so that you can hear their perspectives on the type of supervisor they are.

    You seemed to be taking all the obstacles thrown your way in your stride, and are taking the opportunity to learn more about how research is conducted, as well as what kind of supervision works well for you. Hopefully this information will be useful for the rest of your degree, and good luck with the rest of your project!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 12: At the Finish Line

Hi All, Luana here again. As we are coming towards the end of this internship, I thought I would reflect on the experience as a whole. I can definitely say that this internship has been completely unique to any other learning experience I have had at university so far. It was great to be really hands on and self- directed with my own learning. Even the more formal-learning aspects during the workshops and coding classes were skills that we could apply immediately in our projects. Sometimes at Uni we get a lot of theory thrown at us without being given an opportunity to apply it ourselves, so I can say I really enjoyed the ‘learn by doing’ approach to this internship. I gained so many new skills in these past four months, just by being able to try things myself. It is also amazing how different everyone who does the internship’s experience is. As we have all worked in different areas, with different supervisors and on entirely different projects, everyone’s experien

Week 4: The Starting Line

Hello everyone! This is Elizabeth here to talk about the first 4 weeks of my internship. Despite having minimal knowledge on the research process or what this course would encompass, I was still super excited going into this course.  I’m working with the wonderful Lenny and Lydia and we’re focusing on the effects of imagined intergroup contact on prejudice towards overweight and obese individuals. I’m in the process of piecing together the method and choosing scales and measurements. It's taking a lot longer than I expected. I’ve spent hours and hours on readings and researching related studies but this week, Kate warned us about “The Reading Trap” which completely opened my eyes. I Googled my symptoms I’ve spent an enormous chunk of my time reading article upon article because I’m that type of person that wants to know everything before I have put it down in ink. It also doesn’t help that I enjoy reading the literature too. Leading up to the research propo

Week 8: The Multiple Rounds of Editing

Hello everyone, It's Elizabeth again, this time to give an update at 8 week mark. I think we all deserve a pat on the back for marking it to the 2 month mark of this internship (and uni in general). Draft proposals were submitted a few weeks ago and peer review was released last night. That means it's time to begin the process of editing. Going back a couple of weeks ago when we submitted our draft, I felt a huge relief. I knew it was far from perfect and I was definitely missing bits and pieces since I was still unsure of my experiment. But I thought hey at least the most stressful part of writing is over and now all that needs to be done is editing which can't be too bad ..... can it? There's always a spelling or grammar mistake hiding somewhere. A couple of days after submitting my proposal, we made a couple of changes to my experiment so I had to rewrite a few things in my rationale and method. So after three days of not touching or even thinking of my pr