Skip to main content

Week 12: At the Finish Line




Hi All,

Luana here again.

As we are coming towards the end of this internship, I thought I would reflect on the experience as a whole. I can definitely say that this internship has been completely unique to any other learning experience I have had at university so far. It was great to be really hands on and self- directed with my own learning. Even the more formal-learning aspects during the workshops and coding classes were skills that we could apply immediately in our projects. Sometimes at Uni we get a lot of theory thrown at us without being given an opportunity to apply it ourselves, so I can say I really enjoyed the ‘learn by doing’ approach to this internship. I gained so many new skills in these past four months, just by being able to try things myself.

Image result for finish

It is also amazing how different everyone who does the internship’s experience is. As we have all worked in different areas, with different supervisors and on entirely different projects, everyone’s experience has had unique triumphs and challenges.

 Also, we were able to get a better understanding of other labs, as we shared our experiences with each other. In this way we got to broaden our understanding of what Psych research can look like, while creating a comradery amongst each other. I was nice to be able to share in each other’s struggles and triumphs. We shared in similar hurtles we all faced (like proposal writing) as well as difficulties that were unique to our projects; from mastering photoshop, to understanding EMG analysis, to the best way to talk to a busy supervisor.

I can say I definitely achieved my goals I had set at the beginning of this internship. I have learnt about research, how it works and that I actually like it much more than I thought I would. I have gained a lot of new skills in data analyzing, writing and presenting. I have a clearer idea of my future direction. I met great people and I am really proud of the last four months.

I would love to hear about the other Deviant’s thoughts on the experience.

Luana x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 4: The Starting Line

Hello everyone! This is Elizabeth here to talk about the first 4 weeks of my internship. Despite having minimal knowledge on the research process or what this course would encompass, I was still super excited going into this course.  I’m working with the wonderful Lenny and Lydia and we’re focusing on the effects of imagined intergroup contact on prejudice towards overweight and obese individuals. I’m in the process of piecing together the method and choosing scales and measurements. It's taking a lot longer than I expected. I’ve spent hours and hours on readings and researching related studies but this week, Kate warned us about “The Reading Trap” which completely opened my eyes. I Googled my symptoms I’ve spent an enormous chunk of my time reading article upon article because I’m that type of person that wants to know everything before I have put it down in ink. It also doesn’t help that I enjoy reading the literature too. Leading up to the research propo

Week 8: The Multiple Rounds of Editing

Hello everyone, It's Elizabeth again, this time to give an update at 8 week mark. I think we all deserve a pat on the back for marking it to the 2 month mark of this internship (and uni in general). Draft proposals were submitted a few weeks ago and peer review was released last night. That means it's time to begin the process of editing. Going back a couple of weeks ago when we submitted our draft, I felt a huge relief. I knew it was far from perfect and I was definitely missing bits and pieces since I was still unsure of my experiment. But I thought hey at least the most stressful part of writing is over and now all that needs to be done is editing which can't be too bad ..... can it? There's always a spelling or grammar mistake hiding somewhere. A couple of days after submitting my proposal, we made a couple of changes to my experiment so I had to rewrite a few things in my rationale and method. So after three days of not touching or even thinking of my pr