Skip to main content

WEEK 9: #LABLIFE


Hi all,

Mikayla here again to give you all an update on my internship experience so far!

I cannot believe how close to the end we are! With proposals due next week, the pressure is definitely on. I find myself getting more and more nervous for the presentation which is also fast approaching. This is definitely a very tricky part of the semester where everything is all due at once for me, so balancing everything has proved to be incredibly difficult so far! One thing for sure though, I could not be enjoying my forensic lab experience anymore than I have been! In particular my lab carries out research surrounding face perception and recognition. I never really considered how we perceive and recognise people in every day life, but now that I have, its hard not to see it everywhere!

At the beginning of semester I began the internship by preparing face stimuli for the study I was running. After what felt like a really big achievement back then, it was time to finally begin programming my experiment, which was such an exciting process to watch first hand! Running my own participants across two days was also a rewarding experience. I got to see first hand what working in the lab would really be like. I also loved going in the week after and going through all my data and summarising it (which felt really meaningful!). This internship in particularly has really helped me to appreciate the process of psychological research and I am really excited about what the future has in store!

I love how included I feel in each meeting we have in the lab and I really value all the feedback that has been given to me thus far on running my project! I feel lucky that my supervisors have said to me that they would love to keep me around following the internship. This is really exciting for me as I am hoping to stay involved in the follow up studies! Working with such intelligent and driven people has boosted my motivation so much that I cannot imagine myself not coming in and being involved in the lab! I really couldn’t be more appreciative to my supervisors for the time and effort they have put in for me and the incredible opportunities they have given me to learn and grow.

Lastly, today I reflected on our week one class where we spent the lesson considering what we are hoping to gain from this internship. I can definitely check off most if not all of these things I had noted down. I especially have really appreciated and enjoyed having such a great group of peers to share this experience with. I think we can all say that we succeeded in creating an atmosphere of support where we are all willing to help one another out and be kind in our feedback. It has made this semester much easier to navigate and I am very thankful to the friends I have made J

Good luck everyone with the rest of your proposal writing! Can’t wait to hear what everyone has been working on in their presentations!

Comments

  1. Hi Mikayla,

    It's great to hear you've had such a rewarding experience with the internship. I agree that it can be so satisfying to see something from beginning to end and it sounds like you've managed to get experience with a really wide range of aspects of Lab life. I also agree that the people you get to work with really make this internship. From supervisors, to people on the lab, to other interns, all these people really add to the experience and help us learn so much. I think sometimes people think of research as not very social or a lonely process but so far that hasn't been my experience.

    Good luck with your presentation coming up,

    Luana x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 12: At the Finish Line

Hi All, Luana here again. As we are coming towards the end of this internship, I thought I would reflect on the experience as a whole. I can definitely say that this internship has been completely unique to any other learning experience I have had at university so far. It was great to be really hands on and self- directed with my own learning. Even the more formal-learning aspects during the workshops and coding classes were skills that we could apply immediately in our projects. Sometimes at Uni we get a lot of theory thrown at us without being given an opportunity to apply it ourselves, so I can say I really enjoyed the ‘learn by doing’ approach to this internship. I gained so many new skills in these past four months, just by being able to try things myself. It is also amazing how different everyone who does the internship’s experience is. As we have all worked in different areas, with different supervisors and on entirely different projects, everyone’s experien

Week 4: The Starting Line

Hello everyone! This is Elizabeth here to talk about the first 4 weeks of my internship. Despite having minimal knowledge on the research process or what this course would encompass, I was still super excited going into this course.  I’m working with the wonderful Lenny and Lydia and we’re focusing on the effects of imagined intergroup contact on prejudice towards overweight and obese individuals. I’m in the process of piecing together the method and choosing scales and measurements. It's taking a lot longer than I expected. I’ve spent hours and hours on readings and researching related studies but this week, Kate warned us about “The Reading Trap” which completely opened my eyes. I Googled my symptoms I’ve spent an enormous chunk of my time reading article upon article because I’m that type of person that wants to know everything before I have put it down in ink. It also doesn’t help that I enjoy reading the literature too. Leading up to the research propo

Week 8: The Multiple Rounds of Editing

Hello everyone, It's Elizabeth again, this time to give an update at 8 week mark. I think we all deserve a pat on the back for marking it to the 2 month mark of this internship (and uni in general). Draft proposals were submitted a few weeks ago and peer review was released last night. That means it's time to begin the process of editing. Going back a couple of weeks ago when we submitted our draft, I felt a huge relief. I knew it was far from perfect and I was definitely missing bits and pieces since I was still unsure of my experiment. But I thought hey at least the most stressful part of writing is over and now all that needs to be done is editing which can't be too bad ..... can it? There's always a spelling or grammar mistake hiding somewhere. A couple of days after submitting my proposal, we made a couple of changes to my experiment so I had to rewrite a few things in my rationale and method. So after three days of not touching or even thinking of my pr