Skip to main content

MID SEMESTER BREAK: The Mysterious World of Programming


Hi all!

This is Mikayla here, and I’m going to be sharing my experiences with programming/python so far!

Walking into the computer lab on the first week I had absolutely no idea what to expect. With zero coding experience up my sleeve, I was determined to give it a go. I remember that feeling of relief as everyone in the class introduced themselves pointing out their lack of experience and thinking we were all on a similar page. That was until pretty quickly in the lesson I started feeling very lost and when I looked around the room it seemed like everyone was following along quite easily. I remember that overwhelming wave of stress and uncertainty as I left the lab, wondering what exactly I had gotten myself into this semester.

The next couple of classes after that consisted of following lesson plans (which were structured incredibly well!) and trying to find my feet in this new and mysterious world of coding. There was certainly a lot of staring blankly at the computer screen because I had no idea why my code was or wasn’t running. The small class did make it really easy to get help and if teaching staff weren’t available, it was easy to turn to a peer as everyone seemed more than willing to lend a hand.

Eventually it was time to start bringing in ideas from our own projects. Bringing in relevant examples and putting the coding into a context that I was familiar with, definitely helped to clarify a few things. By no means was it a walk in the park and I still had more than my share of defeated moments. It was at this point I started bonding with the people next to me as I realised I was by no means alone in the confusion. Once I realised that getting frustrated with my coding abilities (well my lack of) was not in the slightest going to help, the lessons became easier and more enjoyable.

During week 4 I definitely felt progress as I had begun building my code and finally in Week 5, what I thought at the beginning was unachievable, actually happened! I got one of my very own images to  display on the screen. Although a very small step, when I think back to day 1, this feels like an enormous achievement. With next week being our final class using python, to my surprise, I’m feeling excited as I’m hopeful I can finish off the last of what I have planned!

Despite that every single time I walk into these programming classes I feel nervous, unsure of the challenges I'm going to experience, or that headache I know I will inevitably have by mid way through (because I don’t think I've had to concentrate so intently for such a long period before), I honestly don’t think I would change anything! I’m appreciative for the many laughs I’ve shared with peers because we have had absolutely no idea what we were doing wrong or how to get our code to run. But most of all, my favourite moment was the excitement of finally coding my first real experiment image and it successfully displaying on the screen!



I could go on forever talking about all the things these programming classes and internship in general has taught me thus far, but instead I thought I would share just a few:

Mikayla’s top intern tips:

1.   Persistence is absolute key: reflecting on those first 5 weeks, I had numerous opportunities to close off and label coding as being too hard. However, I made the most progress after I felt things had gotten too tough but decided to give it another go anyway.
2.   To ask questions no matter how silly they are you may think they are: I lost count of the numerous times I didn’t want to ask for help as I was afraid of looking stupid, but I learnt just how far pushing past that fear can actually get you. Between the teaching staff and peers, everyone in this course is so supportive and encouraging that there really isn't anything to be scared of.
3.   You can get so much out of the things that are the most challenging: Although I’ve never had so much on my plate before, and stress levels are definitely elevating week by week, embracing everything this internship has to offer has made this semester my favourite. I have found that the more time I put into this course, the more skills I learn and the more rewarding it gets. There isn’t a much better feeling than finally achieving something you have worked really hard for!


Well that’s all from me! I hope everybody’s proposal writing is going well!

Mikayla :) 

Comments

  1. Hey Mikayla,

    I'm so glad that all your hard work in programming has finally paid off! Programming is such a foreign language and I had heaps of moments where I didn’t understand why my code wasn’t working (and why it was working). It's great that you persevered through and was able to successfully display your first experiment image.

    I was also afraid to ask questions because of looking silly but then I realised, most of us are on the same boat. And the teaching staff and supervisors are always so supportive and ready to help. It definitely helps to talk to peers and to share our thoughts and experiences.

    Best of luck with your project!
    Elizabeth


    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mikayla.

    Great to hear you have such a positive attitude to programming. As with learning any language, it can feel tough trying to grasp even the basic of words and functions. But the important thing is having taken that first step, every following step will get easier and longer strides- and soon you will realise how proficient you have become with programming. To be able to say you are fluent in a programming language, I think that is a pretty cool achievement to have.

    After learning one programming language, there are so many other things to dive into - you might learn another programming language or decide to take on board a coding project. Hey, it might even become a hobby for you! Regardless, programming is an important skill set to have that has applications with horizons that extend far beyond just psychology.

    All the best with the project,
    Justin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 12: At the Finish Line

Hi All, Luana here again. As we are coming towards the end of this internship, I thought I would reflect on the experience as a whole. I can definitely say that this internship has been completely unique to any other learning experience I have had at university so far. It was great to be really hands on and self- directed with my own learning. Even the more formal-learning aspects during the workshops and coding classes were skills that we could apply immediately in our projects. Sometimes at Uni we get a lot of theory thrown at us without being given an opportunity to apply it ourselves, so I can say I really enjoyed the ‘learn by doing’ approach to this internship. I gained so many new skills in these past four months, just by being able to try things myself. It is also amazing how different everyone who does the internship’s experience is. As we have all worked in different areas, with different supervisors and on entirely different projects, everyone’s experien

Week 4: The Starting Line

Hello everyone! This is Elizabeth here to talk about the first 4 weeks of my internship. Despite having minimal knowledge on the research process or what this course would encompass, I was still super excited going into this course.  I’m working with the wonderful Lenny and Lydia and we’re focusing on the effects of imagined intergroup contact on prejudice towards overweight and obese individuals. I’m in the process of piecing together the method and choosing scales and measurements. It's taking a lot longer than I expected. I’ve spent hours and hours on readings and researching related studies but this week, Kate warned us about “The Reading Trap” which completely opened my eyes. I Googled my symptoms I’ve spent an enormous chunk of my time reading article upon article because I’m that type of person that wants to know everything before I have put it down in ink. It also doesn’t help that I enjoy reading the literature too. Leading up to the research propo

Week 8: The Multiple Rounds of Editing

Hello everyone, It's Elizabeth again, this time to give an update at 8 week mark. I think we all deserve a pat on the back for marking it to the 2 month mark of this internship (and uni in general). Draft proposals were submitted a few weeks ago and peer review was released last night. That means it's time to begin the process of editing. Going back a couple of weeks ago when we submitted our draft, I felt a huge relief. I knew it was far from perfect and I was definitely missing bits and pieces since I was still unsure of my experiment. But I thought hey at least the most stressful part of writing is over and now all that needs to be done is editing which can't be too bad ..... can it? There's always a spelling or grammar mistake hiding somewhere. A couple of days after submitting my proposal, we made a couple of changes to my experiment so I had to rewrite a few things in my rationale and method. So after three days of not touching or even thinking of my pr