Skip to main content

Week 7: Reviewing and being Reviewed (Ahh!!)


Hello Everyone,

Luana here, checking in at Week 7, meaning we are officially into the second half of the semester!! This internship has moved very quickly, and I can't believe we are already this far. Last week our Draft Proposals were due, and I remember thinking that the hardest part, physically getting the words onto paper, was finished....... I think I may have been wrong. 

Now that we are at the process of peer review I am realising that having someone analyse my work is both a little bit terrifying and exciting.
Terrifying because obviously it is hard to hear something negative about your own work, especially when it is a part of a project that you have been working on for 6 weeks and feel attached to (I am feeling major empathy for academics who have much more investment in a topic).
Exciting because I am hoping that having new minds review my writing will be a great way to highlight how it could be better, in ways that I never would have thought of. I think a great summary of this is a comment made by one of the students in the Peer Review video we watched in our Workshop. That she could spend hours and hours on her essay and never find the way to improve it that her classmate could point out from reading it once.

So, even though I may not like hearing it at first, I am keen to get feedback on my work and can’t wait to put the suggestions into action when I get them. This leads me to my second big issue; how do I give good feedback? I can’t expect it from my classmates if I can’t give it back in return.

In peer review we trust protest sign

When we discussed previous feedback we had received during our Week 7 workshop, it seemed that most people had received a lot of bad feedback from Peers and Tutors alike. This ranged from being told a piece of work was good, but not explaining how it could improve, being told it was bad but not highlighting the positive parts of the work, having contradicting feedback throughout etc. The list goes on. These are all things that seem obvious not to do, but I have the feeling that in practice it can be difficult to ensure you are offering constructive, helpful criticism that is balanced.

For example, when we practiced peer review on proposals from students last year, I found that if lots of technical terms were used or a paragraph was confusing, I would subconsciously skim over it. Potentially this is a bad habit from years at uni reading papers about topics I’m only just becoming familiar with and assuming the author must know what they are talking about. Regardless of where it came from, this is not a good habit for peer review!

Therefore, I have made myself a ‘Peer Review Guide’ and I thought I would share it here incase it would help any of you

1.    After each paragraph, ask myself ‘What did that tell me?’. This is to combat my skim reading problem. If I read every paragraph trying to understand its purpose, I should be able to tell when it achieves explaining this purpose to me.
2.    If I understood the purpose of a paragraph, let them know they did a good job!
3.    If I don’t understand what the purpose of a paragraph was, why was that? Did it use difficult language that wasn’t explained? Did the sentences not make sense in the order they were written? Did the purpose of the paragraph seem to change half way? Etc.
4.    Do all of these paragraphs make sense in this order? I like to picture a story board in my head i.e. Does it make sense and provide more understanding to have a particular part of the story earlier?
5.    After reading this proposal, could I explain why the study is interesting and important to someone else?

I would love to hear if any of you guys have tips as to how you are going to approach peer review. Now that I am excited to get helpful feedback, I’d love to also be able to provide it!

Good luck reviewing and being reviewed guys (and if you get my proposal be kind 😉)


Luana x

Comments

  1. Hey Luana!

    I completely agree with you! My first thought when I heard that we were peer reviewing was how afraid I was of letting people read my work and receiving criticism on something I think each of us are so heavily invested in. But when we finally submitted, I found myself more stressed about making sure I was giving people the feedback they deserved. I know how important it is to me that I receive criticism that I can work with, so I found myself really wanting to give the best feedback I possibly could. I really like your 'Peer Review Guide' above and I think it is a really awesome way to approach it! I definitely found myself following a very similar approach but I never thought of approaching it like a story board, which sounds like a great idea! I hope you got some really useful feedback and the rest of your proposal writing/editing goes really well!
    Goodluck!

    Mikayla :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Luana,

    Peer review such a scary process but you definitely learn a lot from it! It was really helpful to get a fresh mind to read my proposal because they pointed out things I did not pick up on despite reading it over and over. I also really like your 'Peer Review Guide' and all your tips for a good peer review. It definitely helps to get helpful and balanced feedback.

    Best of luck with the rest of the semester!!
    Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 12: At the Finish Line

Hi All, Luana here again. As we are coming towards the end of this internship, I thought I would reflect on the experience as a whole. I can definitely say that this internship has been completely unique to any other learning experience I have had at university so far. It was great to be really hands on and self- directed with my own learning. Even the more formal-learning aspects during the workshops and coding classes were skills that we could apply immediately in our projects. Sometimes at Uni we get a lot of theory thrown at us without being given an opportunity to apply it ourselves, so I can say I really enjoyed the ‘learn by doing’ approach to this internship. I gained so many new skills in these past four months, just by being able to try things myself. It is also amazing how different everyone who does the internship’s experience is. As we have all worked in different areas, with different supervisors and on entirely different projects, everyone’s experien

Week 4: The Starting Line

Hello everyone! This is Elizabeth here to talk about the first 4 weeks of my internship. Despite having minimal knowledge on the research process or what this course would encompass, I was still super excited going into this course.  I’m working with the wonderful Lenny and Lydia and we’re focusing on the effects of imagined intergroup contact on prejudice towards overweight and obese individuals. I’m in the process of piecing together the method and choosing scales and measurements. It's taking a lot longer than I expected. I’ve spent hours and hours on readings and researching related studies but this week, Kate warned us about “The Reading Trap” which completely opened my eyes. I Googled my symptoms I’ve spent an enormous chunk of my time reading article upon article because I’m that type of person that wants to know everything before I have put it down in ink. It also doesn’t help that I enjoy reading the literature too. Leading up to the research propo

Week 8: The Multiple Rounds of Editing

Hello everyone, It's Elizabeth again, this time to give an update at 8 week mark. I think we all deserve a pat on the back for marking it to the 2 month mark of this internship (and uni in general). Draft proposals were submitted a few weeks ago and peer review was released last night. That means it's time to begin the process of editing. Going back a couple of weeks ago when we submitted our draft, I felt a huge relief. I knew it was far from perfect and I was definitely missing bits and pieces since I was still unsure of my experiment. But I thought hey at least the most stressful part of writing is over and now all that needs to be done is editing which can't be too bad ..... can it? There's always a spelling or grammar mistake hiding somewhere. A couple of days after submitting my proposal, we made a couple of changes to my experiment so I had to rewrite a few things in my rationale and method. So after three days of not touching or even thinking of my pr